I pulled a lovely black linen out of my stash for the main material. I should say, a am absolutely in love with linen, especially for skirt material. It has enough weight to keep a skirt where a skirt should be, and has a lovely drape and feel. Obviously there are different weights of linen, but I find they are usually in the perfect range for skirts.
The contrast is white cotton printed with sheet music. It took me a minute to figure out which way was up on the music, and I found myself orienting each piece based on the flat symbols. I also had a pang of longing for my old piano, and resolved to start taking lessons again (she was an old upright grand my parents had fixed up, and she was beautiful!).
|This is why photographing black fabric is a bad choice.|
I wanted a more modern look to the skirt, so I decided on a waistband which sat down on the hips. I'll do a tutorial on the slash and spread method I use at some point in the future. I debated a while about making the skirt calf length or knee length, but with the chosen material I thought longer would look better.
I cut all the pieces, and started inserting the accent pieces between panels. I wish I had taken better photos during this process, but digital sketches will have to suffice. I was very careful on cutting everything to exactly the same size, because I knew I wasn't going to be pinning the pieces in. I placed the accent triangle face down on the linen, and sewed from the bottom to a half inch short of the edge of the triangle (okay, it's a trapezoid, but I'm going to call it a triangle).
|A close up of my terribly trimmed threads.|
Then the process is begun again with a new inset and a new panel. I chose four panels front and four panels back. Each seam is pressed open, and one is left un-sewn for inserting the zipper later.
The waistband is two layers of linen with a sewn interfacing (I would have gone fusible, but didn't have any on hand). I basted the interfacing onto one of the waistbands before attaching the two sides together.
To prevent the waistband lining from riding up, I under-stitched the full length.
I then basted the bottom of the waistband to prevent the lining from moving around before or during the stitching to the body of the skirt. As I have said before, when sewing for myself I do not encase the waistband seam. Rather, I leave it easily accessible, though serged, in case I fluctuate weight and want to alter the skirt later.
Next, install the zipper and give it a rolled hem.
Tada! (Pardon, I didn't press the waist band seam, so it's a little noticeable.)
Here is a close up of the insets. They all fall beautifully.
I wore the skirt to work yesterday, and adored it. I'm not used to skirts that sit on my hips, rather than my waist, so I had a hard time choosing a top to go with it. Maybe I'll make that a future 52 project.
All in all, I'm very happy with this one!