Night's Circus Corset
I am now calling this corset the Night's Circus Corset. Thanks to my friend Holly for naming it!
This corset was created for a New Year's party themed after the Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern (which I highly recommend).
I started by sewing the cording to be used in the hip gores.
You can see the first couple of rows I was experimenting with how wide I wanted the channels to be. I always sew sections of corded fabric, then cut my pieces out of them. Otherwise the pieces tend to shift sizes after the cording is added.
I sewed the cording in silver, because I was planning on dip dying the corset and wanted something that would still stand out. Metallic thread is always a huge pain, but the end was worth it.
The corset is a single layer of coutil, my dream fabric, with a silk overlay.
The internal seams are all flat felled, with the busk and lacing sections faced with a second layer of coutil.
This corset is fan laced in red (black and white with a dash of red is a continuing theme from Night Circus), so there are two straps sewn in on each side for the lacing hardware to attach to.
The bones (save the underbusk and lacing bones) are all set in external boning channels. The channels are silk cut on the grain folded over coutil.
Next I made the binding for the corset. I far prefer to make my own binding, so the fabric matches exactly. I planned on making several more corsets from this white silk, so I made a ton of binding at once.
I uh... I might have over done it.
I was very pleased with how the corset looked after it had been bound. So much so that I almost hated to dye it, for fear of ruining it.
I soldiered on into the dying, which I will write a separate post about in the future. It was a lengthy process, so I did most of it while watching the Doctor Who Christmas special. Once it was done, I hung the corset to dry.
Hours later, and here is it!